Just because our new year’s resolutions include losing weight and eating better doesn’t mean we can’t sneak in a few desserts in here and there, especially when those desserts include healthy ingredients.
Which flavors does your sweet tooth desire? Chocolate, vanilla, coconut, or all of the above?! Whatever your flavor, enjoy this recipe from Specialty RV without all the guilt.
Sinless Sticky Toffee Pecan Pudding
- 200 grams pitted dates (about 1.5 cups), roughly chopped
- 1.5 cups almond milk
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance (or other vegan butter substitute), lightly softened
- 1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar (75 grams) OR 1/2 cup Sucanat
- 3/4 cup toasted chopped pecans, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 & 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose)
Toffee Sauce Ingredients
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp unpacked brown sugar (35 grams) OR Sucanat
- 3 tbsp Earth Balance
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp almond milk salt, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 325F and toast the pecans for about 8-10 mins. Now, preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 9-inch pie dish.
2. Bring 1.5 cups of almond milk to a low boil. Add in the chopped and pitted dates and reduce heat to low. Cook for 1 minute, remove from heat, and stir in baking soda.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the softened Earth Balance and brown sugar until no clumps remain. Now add in the date & almond milk mixture and stir.
4. Add the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until just combined. Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish.
5. Bake at 375F for 27 minutes.
6. Toffee sauce: About 10 mins before the cake is done, make your toffee sauce by whisking together the sauce ingredients in a pot. Bring to a low simmer over medium heat, and then reduce heat to low, whisking frequently making sure it doesn’t burn. Remove from heat and set aside.
7. Remove cake from oven and let it cool. Pour 2/3 of the toffee sauce over the top of the cake (reserving the other 1/3 of the sauce for later) and smooth out with a spoon.
8. Scoop out your portions onto plates, drizzle with remaining sauce, and top with toasted pecans.
There it is, a great way to satisfy that sweet tooth and not deviate away from a healthy resolution. While you are out on the road and you come across other healthy recipes for after dinner delights, send them to us at Specialty RV.